What Is It?

Trailer Interchange insurance is a type of physical damage for the non-owned trailer you are pulling.


Who's It For?

  • Long Haul Truckers
  • Produce Haulers
  • General Freight Haulers
  • Amazon Freight Haulers
  • Intermodal Carriers

What Is Offered?

  • Fire and Severe Weather


Get a Quote?

Trailer Interchange Insurance in California

What is Trailer Interchange Insurance?

As a truck driver, it is essential to have Physical Damage insurance for the trailers you pull under a trailer interchange agreement. This coverage offers protection from potential damages that might be caused by collision, fire, theft, explosion, or vandalism. Since these trailers are not owned by you, this separate insurance coverage is needed as it is not included in your existing Physical Damage policy.

Who Needs Trailer Interchange Insurance?

When you sign a trailer interchange agreement, you should obtain Trailer Interchange insurance to protect yourself from financial loss due to any damage to a trailer that is not owned by you. This type of agreement allows truckers to exchange trailers in order to transport a shipment, with the responsibility of any incurred damages resting on the driver in possession of the trailer.

Get A Quote!

Do I Need Trailer Interchange or Non-Owned Trailer Coverage?

Non-owned trailer coverage provides protection to a trailer while connected to a listed or scheduled power unit. It is important that the policy lists the maximum value of any trailer you intend to use, as this will be the value of the non-owned trailer coverage. This type of coverage is only applicable when the trailer is attached to a listed or scheduled power unit.

Trailer interchange extends liability coverage while in the possession of the carrier, so long as there is a written agreement in place. In this case, there is no need for the trailer to be attached to a listed power unit when the loss occurs. When included on the policy, this coverage pays for direct and accidental losses to the trailer.
Source: Cottingham & Butler


Trailer Interchange coverage example

While on the road and hauling a trailer that does not belong to you, you make a stop to refuel. After heading inside to grab a bite, you come back to find your truck has been stolen.

Regular Comprehensive and Property Damage insurance won’t cover the loss of the trailer since it does not belong to you. That’s where Trailer Interchange insurance comes in. If you have elected a limit of $20,000 and a deductible of $1,000, your insurer will cover the difference after you pay the first $1,000 towards replacing the trailer. If the replacement costs more than $20,000, you will be responsible for the difference, while anything under will be taken care of after the deductible.


Trailer Interchange Insurance Exceptions and Restrictions

To qualify for Trailer Interchange insurance, you must possess a trailer through a written trailer interchange agreement and purchase Liability insurance. This type of insurance is currently only offered for tractors and pickups; no other vehicle types are eligible. Additionally, each tractor and/or pickup must be associated with at least one trailer, either owned or not owned.

Get A Quote

Need Commercial Truck Insurance in California? We've got you covered

We can customize a California commercial truck insurance program to meet your specific requirements. This might vary from comprehensive coverage to liability-only coverage. 


Motor Truck Cargo Insurance in California

Trailer Interchange Coverage For Most Vehicle Types

We can insure almost every sort of commercial vehicle. The following are the most often seen. If you’re searching for anything in particular, give us a call; we’re happy to assist you.


Trailer Interchange Coverage in CA? We've Got You Covered!

Regardless of the city in which you operate, we can assist you in putting together a competitive California Trailer Interchange Coverage plan. We can assist you in any part in California, including…


Trailer Interchange Insurance

States We Can Offer Trailer Interchange Coverage

We are here to help you obtain a superior trailer interchange insurance. 


We can also offer commercial truck insurance to the neighboring states: Arizona, Nevada and Oregon.


Resources for California Truckers

The California Trucking Association advocates, promotes and defends California’s trucking industry.

The California Department of Transportation oversees California’s infrastructure mainly roads, underpasses and highways.

California Department of Insurance is the regulatory body that oversees the California insurance industry.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is the regulatory body that oversees the commercial motor vehicles in the United States.  Their job is to keep our roads and highways safe.

Quote online or give us a call

Scroll to Top