DO I Need an MCP 65 Filing

Do I Need an Motor Carrier Permit?

If you are a truck driver who needs to obtain a Motor Carrier Permit (MCP), there are a few criteria to consider. Firstly, any person or business entity who transports property for compensation in a motor vehicle of any size, type, or weight must have an MCP. This applies to courier services using a motorcycle, too. Furthermore, those operating commercial vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, whether for private or commercial use, must have an MCP. Additionally, anyone transporting hazardous materials, or operating a motor truck and trailer, semitrailers, pole or pipe dollies, auxiliary dollies, or logging dollies exceeding 40 feet when coupled together, is required to have an MCP. Lastly, all those who need a commercial driver license for the operation of their motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicle and trailer are also obliged to have an MCP. Note that operators pulling camp trailers, utility trailers, and trailer coaches do not need an MCP.


Truck drivers who do not need a Motor Carrier Permit?

Truck drivers who do not need a Motor Carrier Permit (MCP) include those driving:
– vehicles used for transporting household goods and passengers, in accordance with Public Utilities Commission authority.
– trucks carrying used office, store, and institutional furniture and fixtures, if they have a Household Goods Carrier Permit as per PUC Section 5137.
– pickup trucks with a GVWR under 11,500 pounds and an unladen weight of 8,001 or less, as long as the box-type bed is nine feet or less and operated for non-commercial purposes.
– vehicles used to transport passengers and their luggage.
– two-axle daily rental trucks with a GVWR under 26,001 pounds and not operated for commercial reasons.
– any vehicle exempt from registration fees.
– motor trucks and two-axle truck tractors with a GVWR of under 26,001 pounds, used to tow camp or utility trailers, fifth-wheel travel trailers, or trailers designed to carry a watercraft, provided they are never used commercially.

How Do I Apply For an Motor Carrier Permit?

New carriers must apply for an MCP before they begin operations. You can apply online or by mail.

To apply online: Complete and submit the online MCP application.

To apply by mail:

  • Get a CA# from the California Highway Patrol (CHP)
  • Complete an Application for Motor Carrier Permit (MC 706 M).
  • Provide proof of insurance
  • Provide proof of Workers’ Compensation insurance or signed exemption.
  • Get a valid Requester Code issued by the Employer Pull Notice (EPN) Program if you employ drivers with a Commercial Class A, Commercial Class B, or Class C driver license with a hazardous materials or any other applicable endorsement (required by California Vehicle Code (CVC) §15278).
  • Pay applicable fees.
  • Mail Application to: Department of Motor Vehicles, Registration Operations Division, PO Box 932370 – MS H875, Sacramento, CA 94232-3700

Coast Transport Insurance Services is an insurance agency that focuses on commercial truck insurance. We are truck insurance specialists and are eager to share our knowledge with you. Our clients appreciate that we work hard to get them affordable insurance rates they can afford with unbeatable customer service. In addition, they like the speed at which we provide truck insurance, customer service, insurance certificates, and coverage changes. Contact us at (800) 348-0017 for more information.